Thursday, December 4, 2008

Some warm memories

My eyes are droopy and as I sit here I am trying to pump myself up for a whole nights worth of work, sitting right here in this very room...must become like a machine...must pump out work...must gulp caffeine like an empty put put of a car drinks gasoline every time my thoughts drift towards my big comfy bed.

So as a procrastination project I want to write a little about my camping experience over Thanksgiving.

One of my very best friends up this way Sasha. She graduated from Swarthmore last year we worked at the decrepit Davincis together, and now share the wonderful experience of working together at Seven Stones. Recently I was going through quite a difficult time her at school and I reached out to her and she caught me.

One night in particular I we planned dinner at her apt in Philly with her boyfriend Juan and his friend Brian *wink wink. The set up was an obvious one, but what no one expected was what an incredible connection the four of us would have. We all prepared dinner and drank beers all the while engrossed in conversation. Then we ate. In silence...that is when you know the food is really good, I mentioned in between bites. Then we sat around, quite satisfied and talked and talked and talked some more until we went into the other room and danced the night away. We tore ourselves apart at about 2 and Brian drove me home. Since then, all of us realizing the incredible connection we had we have made it a point to go hang out. Where? The rock gym. The three of them happen to be climbers and are teaching me the trade.

I love it
But that is a wholenother post

Recently the four of us decided to take a 12 hour road trip out to Kentucky over Thanksgiving. It was incredibly impulsive one my part as I had to break several commitments that were painful to do, but once I was in the car my spirit was at peace. The care ride was magical. At one point it was just me as the breath of three sleeping bodies filled the air. I felt like a mother with four lives in my hands as I sang softly to the melodious play list I had picked out just for this moment the day before. A couple of hours later Juan awoke and we became engrossed in conversation. It was a moment frozen in time, moseying along the highway conversing in Spanish...talking about people power in different countries, then about hiking in Yosemite..full moons, photographers...cold nights in tents when the air was so cold it would freeze your lungs as it descended into your body. The night was perfectly clear and at moments I would peak up from the steering wheel and view a sky plastered with stars. I had a constant grin on my face that burst into a beam at some moments of Juan's stories. He would not let me speak in English...practice he said. And so I did and in a way it made the moment that much more surreal.
The next morning we arrived at the campsite. 6:30 in the morn.

must continue work...will continue this story as there are many chapters