Saturday, April 26, 2008

silently simmering


Sometimes I am so overwhelmed by the pain of the world. Yesterday I was walking with a group from school in the city. We were all beautifully done up for a night of salsa dancing. On our way we passed a man sitting on the bench with his head buried in his arms. We then passed another man hunched over, eyes barely peering through the mass of white hair hanging in strings, obscuring his face. He held out a disfigured hand with the hopes of change, the other clutching a lighter and a lone ciggarette. We walked by, but I turned back to offer him a couple of dollars. I told him of a shelter nearby and he said he refuses to go telling me of the abuses he suffered there, one day walking into the street without anyone caring that he was bleeding out the side of his head after being jumped. But it is worse for women, he told me. He sleeps around the corner with eight other men and their half lab half pitbull, Scraps.

I am having a hard time reconciling learning, seeing, being surrounded by injustice....everywhere, then going off to dance salsa for the night.
Its not that I don't enjoy these things. In fact I would say that I am much more often overwhelmed by the beauty and ecstasy of existence, many times moved to tears just imagining everyone taking breath together, dancing, laughing, creating...resisting.

But then there are times when I feel so helpless. I feel this urgent need to do something, a yearning to see change, an anger that is silently simmering.

Today I read an article of a 35 year old man that received 3 life sentences without the possibility of parole who according to nine witnesses, 7 of whom later recounted, committed a robbery and murder when he was 15.
Here is the link to his blog:
http://4efren.blogspot.com/search/label/Eighteen%20Years%20of%20Wrongful%20Incarceration

We and the Communists have a common idea that something else is necessary, some other vision of society must be held up to be worked for.

When I fed the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why are the poor hungry, they called me a communist.

—Dorothy Day, co-founder of the Catholic Worker Movement

3 comments:

T said...

What sort of beauty will save the world? (The Idiot, Dostoyevsky)


The beauty that will save the world is the love that shares the pain. (Carlo Maria Martini, SJ)

It's the way of Jesus that will save the world, no "us and them," just us.

Jane said...

Most of us who will try to convince you to be content with passing the man and going to salsa are just trying to ease our own consciences by drawing you back into a world where all the questions are answered for the purpose of our comfort.

mesc said...

Whether it is dancing a wild Salsa, photographing people on the subway or climbing a church tower with your sister, you need to continue to live life to the fullest. Rejuvenate your inner being with these good times, Sarah Beara. God’s work for you will be never ending – there will always be more to do because your heart and soul are open to doing the work using the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. You may never think you are doing enough because there will always be too much to do. Being able to let go and enjoy life will give you a balance to help keep you going. Jesus took time out – sitting with friends, enjoying good conversation and relaxation – it was a good example for us to know that we all need to enjoy life. When you get that twinge that you shouldn’t be having a good time when so much needs to be done – think of all that you have done and close your eyes and see a set of scales. Make sure they balance – God, family, school, work, charity and play! All of them have a place in your life. Love you lots, Aunt ME