Thursday, April 10, 2008

strawberry ice cream and coffee

I just finished licking the last bit of strawberry ice cream off the back of my plastic spoon when I brought the warm, (I cant lie) mediocre coffee to my lips....yummmmmmm! I need to remember this combination in the future.
I have not blogged in a while. Truth be told I havent know really what to say. So much has happened this past semester. One day I feel like the world really does make sense, and the other I realize that we are just like the animals I am studying in Bio 2- the grasshopper that eats the head of her mate after sex, caring for our young only to proliferate our own DNA, the female birds that leave their nests 1/2 an hour before their mates rise to copulate with a neighboring male (hehe I thought this one was pretty funny) destruction, survival, selfishness.

"What is the purpose of religion?" my prof asked.
Meaning, security, consolation from fear, were all the answers
Yes, I guess you could say those are true. For everyone religion plays a role in these selfish desires. But there must be more to life than what I am reading, hearing..sometimes believing.

And then I take a walk and smell the weeping cherry trees burst into spring, and I think...how arrogant to think that this is all meaningless?

So these ups and down...knowing and not knowing, I cant say I hope they will pass one day. Though I dont wish for such extremes as I find myself experiencing here, I also don't wish to lose this marvel and wonder of life, asking the questions that are incredibly hard to face but that also make each breath of air and whiff of spring blossoms that more beautiful.

And thanks T for the information on Dorothy Day, I have thought of her often thinking that I would like her...who would have thought that the church would consider canonizing an anarchist??? It is inspiring to see a woman that was so in love with the church, but also felt passionately about its shortcomings.

No comments: