Friday, August 15, 2008

Iron Jawed Angels

Below are some pictures of a training I went to in Philadelphia to protest the building of two casinos in Philadelphia. I was asked to go by George, the man with white hair and a white shirt, to compliment the research I am doing for him. He is compiling a database of nonviolent campaigns that have taken place throughout the world as an inspirational and educational tool and I am researching and making entries into an easily accessible database. I have just finished reading about several campaigns in India, and Gandhi's satigraha, or literally "Truth force," for Independent rule. Such beautiful stories and incredible poeple.
Now I have moved on to Alice Paul and her role in the passage of the 19th amendment, women's right to vote. I just finished watching Iron Jawed Angels, which is specifically about her and the National Womans Party that she founded. I am ashamed to say that I know, or knew rather, so little about the women that made it possible for me to have the rights that I have today. It was so inspirational to see a woman so strong and so resolute in the midst of incredible opposition. Of all the social issues I have read this past month and learned in my two years of college, this is the one I can most identify with.
It is a poignant reminder that to make change one has to be willing to step outside what is comfortable and many times socially acceptable.
I watch with awe, the incredible gifts to humanity God graces us with, and pray that one day I will be as courageous!

2 comments:

T said...

It is amazing the rights we now have as women that we take for granted. Voting is one of the most striking. This entire issue really hit home to me after traveling in Latin America where women are still suffering a lot from sexism and discrimination.

Can you imagine that less than 100 years ago, educated, intelligent women like us were not allowed to participate in our democracy! Amazing! If I had lived in that time I would have been INFURIATED at that injustice.

mesc said...

Yet, Sarah and Theresa - so many women and men that I know do not exercise their right to vote. It is amazing to me that so many people do not understand it is not only their constitutional right - but - their responsibility to help run this democracy by voting.

I know that many times my family votes cancel out my votes - but in Kochville Township this last election there was a tie for nominating the democratic supervisor. Only 462 of 1,707 registered voters went to the polls for a 27 percent turnout - if just one more person had voted they wouldn't have had to cut cards to see who won! - Aunt ME