Tonight I danced. I made a fool out of myself in from of my African dance class, but you better believe I did it with a smile. I laughed when I messed up the moves so much, I watched in awe at the instructors move their bodies with such fluidity, yet such force and conviction. Arms swing over your shoulders in a great sweeping arch as you knees come high into the air, moving to the right then to the left to the beat of four Congo drums. My head rolled ever so calmly around my neck 1 2 3 4 5 6 7...then snap! up to the commanding beat. We nod to the left, nod to the right...looking at and greeting our surroundings, then we look to the sky, hello heavens, we look to the earth, hello ancestors. Our bodies spin in circles, they bend over one arm extending backward, the other in a sweeping circular motion while hopping twice, booty extended (if you got it work it). We watched our peers attempt the moves, they watched us. When I found myself getting selfconcious I would be reminded to just close my eyes and feel the beat. And that is what I did, up until the last salute, bending low as you hand touches your heart and then the ground just bellow the drummers feeling the pulse beneath your fingertips...a thank you for such inspiration for my body and then to the instructor a thank you for such wisdom.
mmmmmmmm... twice a week this will be my euphoria.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I can just imagine it!
that is just what you need to brighten your day! Hell.. that's just what I need to brighten my day *sigh*
Post a Comment