Sarah's typical Day
So I thought...for those interested, I would lay out a typical day thus far.
I wake up to my wonderful yellow and red room dotted with artwork and a vase of bright red flowers. I put on some "peaceful tunes" as my playlist is called I grab a towel and hop in the shower to waken my sleepy eyes. I grab Ping our cat, place her on the bed beside me and slather a fresh scent of lotion all over my body. Then I wonder into the kitchen, brew a fresh pot of coffee and pour a small bowl of cereal. Then..if I don't have 8 am lab, I sit on my red chair/cushion with a red and white knitted blanket and mustard yellow cushions, and have a little prayer time. I grab a couple of books, St. Francis usually, atop my djimbe drum and sit for about twenty minutes while sipping coffee, saying hello to God and greeting the day.
Then I am off to class, either the Lang center for Civic and Social responsibility to work on my research of nonviolent social movements, or its off to Chemistry. I usually head back to the apts around noonish for a quick lunch, and then its off to Liberation Theology, or on Wednesdays I hop on my bike and ride for about twenty minutes up and down hills and through windy roads to the my coffee shop (work) in the next town. In the evenings I enjoy dinner with my roomies or with a few good friends and then it is off to African dance on Mon and Wed or the Library on every other day. The walk to or from campus is a peaceful one with my ipod tucked in my pocket and iron and wine playing meditatively in my ears.
When the night is growing deep and my eyes are drooping low I begin my trek back to campus. I walk into the apt and find one of my roomies, Liz and we head for the porch to our favorite rusty ol couches and sit for a talk...boys, school, life. Many nights we are joined by other apt dwellers for a chat before heading to bed. A fan blows air, just cool enough to appreciate my quilt and deep brown blanket, into the room, I click off my hanging lamp that casts a warm orangish glow about the room, and fall into a deep sleep.
So that is life. I realized today, one of many similar realizations, what a blessing and privilege it is to be here as I clutched a book that had just finished challenging they way I think, urging me to delve deep into critical thought and walked up the creaky stairs to my apt.
Tonight, I put a fresh bundle of flowers into a vase atop our dinning room table and am getting ready to make spaghetti for the girls and I. mmmmmmmmm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i love this post. when we can see our lives like this, it really is a piece of heaven.
Post a Comment