Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Iron and wine and my Flower

My family has left for a protest (of which I cannot go near for the threat of deportation)
I have the house to myself. I checked a couple of emails on their comp..then thought what can i do what can i do..ah ha.
I googled my favoirite music group Iron and Wine. I have had no music here in Mexico. Something that I regret not preparing for before coming, but I knew it could also serve as an escape and i didnt want that...anywho
I came across their myspace and they have my favorite song on their play list, resurrection fern. I held the speaker close to my ear, as it was soft, and was immediatly comforted, at peace, transported to rainy fall days with orange leaves scattered across the broken concrete..transported to my life at Swarthmore at its best when I would walk around with this song on repeat wrapped in a sweater and a coffee mug in hand. I began to sing along with him and soon my eyes began to water, and not long after I could not sing anymore because of my soft, yet joyful tears.

Today I worked with an herbalist, Estela, who practices homeopathy and flores de Bach (flowers of Bach), healing for the soul, spirit and emotions from essences of flowers.
We chatted over lunch for over an hour. At one point she told me that according to the philosophy of healing with flowers, we are all born with a flower, that pertains to our personality. When healing we try to figure out how far are you from your flower, your essence, what has caused you do detract from that core and try to get you back to that root, your equilibrium.

How incredibly beautiful.

I thought as I was listening to this music that sooths the soul, that this music makes my flower sing!! It makes me rejoice in life and sit back and celebrate it with awe.
We all have things that make our core our flower sing, and it is unique to each individual.

What a beautiful perspective on healing, to bring you back to your core, which is too unique, to complicated and too precious for pills and perscriptions.

Click here to here the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMouvawdbKc

2 comments:

Jane said...

That was beautiful. I love that group - I even, for some reason, have them on my Pandora :) I think my flower is an ivory colored, fully bloomed rose. What's yours?

If you've tried to call me, sweetie, my phone was lost (notice the passive voice). I just got a new one, but couldn't access old messages. It makes me wonder how many people are mad that I haven't returned their calls.

I'm looking for a phone card that's less than $17/hour! Have you heard any ideas from other folks down there with relatives calling?

Love you!
Mom

Pursued by Truth said...

my herbalist always gives me floral essences. they are usually the ones associated with trauma, something completely unsurprising considering the family I come from - HAHAHAHAHAH