Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Chiapas!!

What to write what to write....
I have been through a whirlwind of activity the past few weeks. I have uprooted myself from a family that I grew to love, good friends that I gave warm goodbye embraces to, an institution that was guiding me along the way, curanderas and parteras (midwives) that I had just begun to know well...to all of a sudden BOOM! I am here having to dig out my nitch and my place all over again. It was a scary transition, as I knew it would be. I asked everyone to pray especially hard for me during this week...just a week ago I was chatting on the phone, exitedly and nervously anticipating what I had no idea was to come.

And here I am...and I feel as though it is going to be wonderful.
I have gotten to know the house of dominican sisters fairly well. I have accompanied several of them on their visits and presentations, and had a two hour long chat with another over coffee and breakfast that turned into lunch about her experiences here. She just left this morning for Guatemala for good, it was sad to see her go. She was spunky and had a bit of an attitude, I liked her a lot. I thought if I were ever a nun, God forbid (hehe), I would be like her...well a mix I think between her and sr. Isabel the superior who has a huge grin on her face at anytime. She has a glow around her and the life and attitude of a child. But at the same time she commands respect, because when her face grows serious..so does yours and you know immediatly that she is tough, not to be corssed, and holds many opinions about the mistreatment of those she works daily with.
The other sister, sister juanita is jolly and giggling all the time. I love her. She took me to the center one day and we just paced around the zocolo five times lisenting to the bandplay tranquil music, chatting about this and that. She is fierce as well and you would never guess it from this plump uninimidating giggly women. I got her talking about women and the bible and women in the indigenous communities and she had so much to say.
What I feel is humbled in their precence. I have so much to learn about life, love, God, women... everything and I have a deep sense of peace that I am in the right place...once I let go of my fears and embrace a new adventure. A new opportunity to learn and love.

Oh and I found a coffe shop to call home!!!!!!!! I left grinning broadly andI wondered what was the matter with me, thenI thought ah ha my flower is singing because coffee shops are so dear to me, and I always feel a bit at home in one that I love.

This one, T knows it because sr. Violeta told me you liked it, is called Tierra Adentro (the land inside) and it was full of all the tourists that you know came to San Cristobal with the hopes of learning more about the Zapatista movement..or just maybe to catch a glance of the hooded mysterious Marcos. Dreds are abound, long skirts, the bohemian types.

A wall plastered with events, want to learn to play the guitar? Need a room to rent? Want ot practice your spanish with a local university student who wants to learn english?? (YES!) Come learn reiki level one and two, dancing classes, bizzars and the list goes on.

Inside tables were scattered with photos on the wall and information about the zapatistas and the current resistance. There were rooms off to the side that sold artisans from cooperatives from the surrounding communities...ahhh i breathed the excited air of activism, resistance but a joyful one, one of education and solidarity.

I left and planned out that everyday after my work at CIESAS (anthropological institution) I will come here to write and sit a cup of coffee....how wonderful!!!

I am off to an indigenous community for four days with hermana Isabel..I am excited nervous and a million things all in one. It is bound to be incredible. Will write more when I come back!

No comments: