Friday, March 27, 2009

My home after two weeks

Things here are amazing/difficult. I have enmeshed myself into the community of San Andres with one of the sisters. It was a bit of a culture shock the first few days. The men she works with are all older men, los consejos de la paroquia as well as leaders in their communities. It has taken a bit of time, but they are warming to me and we have been able to have some really amazing moments, sr Isabel and members of the community..here are a few

Eating watermelon and dipping our bareffet in rushing clear water after a picnic over the hood of the pickup truck of avocado, cheese chile and tortillas...mmmmm

Laughing all the way through the hour long car ride from San Andres to San Cristobal as we taught each other Tzotzil, English and spanish...we came upwith some pretty funny combination like matching goat and banana moneeey (or monkey..lol)

Playing fooseball, or footballito, me and Domingo against Sr. Isabel and Joaquin...we were all sooo into it, laughing gasping cheering groaning along side all the rest of the 10 year olds playing and watching.

Many a conversation over the dinner table with one of the sisters about medicine, the zapatista movement, the life and stories of Indigenous they know and live with, laughing, tearing up at moments

Our trip to Acteal, visiting las abejas...a story in of its own. Standing in the middle of the wooden planked chapel where 49 people were massacred, running my fingers over the crosses in their remembrance when sr. Isabel comes in joyfully carrying a baby boy.."in the midst of death their is always life" she said her face beaming. I held the baby kissing him hugging him and telling him moo sha sheem (do not be afraid in Tzotzil)

Sr Isabel has taken me on as her student. She is one of the most amazing people I have met. Beaming with joy..always laughing, the people in the community with whom she has worked with the past eleven years love her. It is so obvious in the way the interact with her. She is also a pillar of wisdom. She has taught me much about respect, learning from those in San Andres as they have much to teach. She never presents herself as a teacher, but one that walks along side the members of the community for support.

I see her as a beautiful woman who has out of her love for God and a genuine and true love for those she works with has devoted her life to fighting to see change, or at least stand up against that she knows is wrong. Beautiful...I have much to learn from her.

But some days are a little lonely...work at the organization Aurora set me up with is extremely slow and a bit disappointing...today was one of those days that my heart was feeling abit heavy, which is why actually I felt inspired to share a bit.

I was walking from my work, while crossing a major intersection I had to run for my life so as not to get hit by a taxi that knew many moments before that I was crossing. He then screeeeamed something nasty out the window at me, as if half running me over wasnt bad enough.

Fine no big deal shook it off. Well then I went to my fav coffee shop Tierra Adentro, beautiful we will all go when we travel around and about, but as I walked out a man stopped me and began chatting...he was sceazy and I felt con all over him, where are you going oh you cant go that way it is dangerous let me accompany you...after I managed to get out of it, but not without a slimy kiss on the cheek goodbye, I was upset...big jerk, I am no idiot.

Then on my way to catch the bus, a group of guys started saying something....de donde eres, estas muuy guapa, but when I didnt answer or gave them nothing more than a smile, and for some reason si came out of my mouth...they started laughing and saying something else. The sound of laughing as you are walking away is so unsettling

gggrrrrrr none of these things is a big deal on its own, I have shook of comments like these and reactions like that here and there all the time, but today for some reason it just got to me..I had to remind myself through a bit of tears as I climbed the steps leading to the big yellow church where Iive, that I am tired and things seems to be exaggerated when I am tired...but some days you feel quite alone in a new, still a bit strange environment.

But I have a beautiful sense of peace that I am right where I need to be. That with uncomfortable sad moments come moments of wisom and joy.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Sarah! I had not looked at your blog (Liz's either) in a while since you hadn't posted, but lookie here! Two posts! How beautiful. I wish I had read these before we talked today.

It sounds like Sr. Isabel is amazing. What a blessing to have someone there who is so filled with life and knowledge and is so generous with both!

I'm on Skype and Gmail now!! I think I found you on Skype - you had a membership already didn't you? If it's not you and you have to sign up again, use Sarah Catherine Noble when you register your full name cause there are LOTS of Sarah Nobles!!

I LOVE YOU sweetie and I look forward to talking a lot more (I'm going to buy a calling card tomorrow at QT).

T said...

Love you moooshashoooooo