Saturday, June 13, 2009

My Night of Peace

I sat reclined in the blue arm chair..windows open curtains drawn in my small hermitage which I grew to love at first glance and longed for while sitting in the chapel after mass.
Reading excerpts form the welcome passage on prayer and the meaning of retreat I picked up a book about Dorothy Day. Just barely into the first page I glanced curiously to the door at I heard a chomping of sorts on the grass, in my nighties I was afraid some man was doing lawn work out my door, but to my surprise when I glanced up a heard of beautiful wide-eyed shiny coated cows wandered just feet inform of my window. I gasped with joy and went out to my porch…hello! Hello little one I cooed to the calves. Three stood still curiously staring me down their long lashed blinking over their eyes…a pregnant cow came along, she labored behind the rest, but also came the closest to me allowing me to see her tongue as she pulled at the grass chomp after chomp as if her huge belly was urging her for more food..off in the near distance a calve suckled milk form his momma as she patiently stopped her grazing to provide for the greedy nudges and kicks of the calve below her.
I still see them out my window as I type these words playfully swishing their tail in a futile attempt to rid their beastly backs of scores of flies.

Now I will continue my Dorothy Day book of inspiration, my mouth waters to the sweet smell of coffee that has overwhelmed my small little room. I will sip it on the porch while I chat with the cows
The urgent honks of distant geese, the melodious hum of crickets and gurgle of cicadas and the meditative rip of grasss being pulled by its roots and ground between the dull teeth of the cows who graze unaware of my eyes in awe of their slow peaceful saunter and swish of their tail

2 comments:

mesc said...

ssshhhh - listen - you can almost hear Aunt ME sighing in a state of euphoria after reading this post and feeling as if she is sitting right next to Sarah Beara watching the cows. Love Ya!

Pursued by Truth said...

sigh. beautiful!