I just got back not too long ago from New York City. That city is so invigorating. Walking around one can completely lose themselves in the lives of those all around you. On the subway I glance over at an old woman with a shawl neatly wrapped over her hair, resting her head to the side, feet stretched out and a slight grin on her face. Another man sits waiting for the subway, his feet looked like dead stumps that were somehow attached to his body, a gapping wound in one of them (at this time i wished that I had my nursing degree so that I could offer some help instead of glancing painfully his way). Another man files off the subway with the rest of the solemn faced travelers and stops to close his eyes and dance to the music playing in his earplugs. As I was reading over a Che poster, another man comes up behind me and says, good man Che, you know him? We proceeded to walk down the street chatting about Puerto Rico, his home country and before parting ways he looked into my eyes and very genuinely said to me thank you. And finally the person that stands out most in my mind is the old Jewish man I met just the other night.
I was sitting against a building talking on the phone to my friend Josh, trying to figure out where i was going to meet him when a rather large old Jewish man approached me, full beard and a yamaka atop his mass of white hair. (Now as you read this muster up the best old man voice you have)
You speak Hebrew?
Um no....(slightly confused I remember that I am on the phone with a nice jewish boy) but my friend does
Well, your Jewish right?
No, smiling I look back at him, he is still waiting...filling the awkward stare of silence I reply, Im Catholic
And with no further hesitation he looks to the left and then to the right, bends down slaps a kiss on my cheek, then proceeds to sit on my lap kissing my forehead and both my cheeks vigorously.
In a state of shock, I permit these kisses, who knows how long he would have stayed there had I not pushed him off with a stern "thank you"
You're beautiful, your beautiful! he mumbled stumbling away.
Perhaps one would be offended at such an assault of personal space and boundaries, but the absurdity of the situation had tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks.
So coming back, I am once again as I have been so often on the past invigorated by the city, New York this time rather than Philly. People simply living life. I feel the pain of those cast to the side by society, I dance with the man in the subway, I stretch out my feet and smile slightly at the humor of the day, and I laugh with those enjoying the company around them. I simply lived these past few days, in community with thousands of strangers.
And I thank God for that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I laughed til I cried when I heard this story. You forgot to tell the part where your friends said, "That man wouldn't have sat on a New Yorker's lap, Sarah. What is there about you that invites that kind of thing?"
The challenge for you is the same as the challenge was in mothering you. How do you ensure some amount of safety in your life while still maintaining that beautiful, wide armed joy of living that is a pure gift?
I love you kiddo!
Mom
That reminds me of how when Sarah was little, she fell off the porch over and over again and every time she would stand up with her mouth wide in an almost cry and then she would smile really big at us and start giggling. God will catch her mom, don't worry.
Post a Comment