Chester- I got out of Fran's car as we pulled up the familiar drive. I saw three women sitting outside in chairs, Elane, Marie and one other that I had not seen before. I waved eagerly and met Elane's huge smile and "hey girl, how you doin baby" with a big hug. Elane has been at the Gift for years, but is constantly looking for housing (difficult since she is an illegal immigrant from Jamaica). I then turned to Marie and gave her a huge hug. Marie is a great grandmother, but also has a son about my age that she regularly visits. I was introduced to the third woman, who has been in and out of the Gift of Mary. A woman with a sweet and warm personality. I sat down in the empty chair and we all began to talk. We talked about Chester, school, men (they are very interested in my love life) Elane saying to me with a nod and a stern face, Girl you are smart and beautiful, you just wait for the right man, he will come. Soon though I excused myself because I was also eager to see the sisters that I had not seen in quite a while.
I walked in, my smile could not have been bigger, I was home. The familiar smell of sweet sickliness hit me, and I could just imagine the front room filled with kids running around. I watched myself chasing after them, pulling them apart while dodging uncontrolled fists and kicks to the shin
I walked upstairs and was met by another woman I had not seen before. Pat, she told me later after asking her seven times. She could not hear very well I soon found out. I was in awe of her. She wandered around quite in her own world making up responses if she knew you were trying to talk to her. Pat do you want some tea? Yup, Ive been here for quite a while, I'm hoping to go home soon. I wanted to capture this woman. I pointed to my camera, and then to her. Okay she said and patiently posed for several snaps of my shutter. I headed downstairs to get the doorbell. I greeted a man, who said he was ready to take the sisters to town. I waited by the sisters door on the first floor, for they still didnt know I was there, and would be out to answer the door themselves.
I heard a scamper of feet and Sister Elna rushed out. Oooh! she exclaimed with a huge grin. Your hair! You look....good, she said hesitantly. For they sisters and many in India, long hair is a sign of beauty. I would always get teased for my unkempt hair, one sister saying to me one time, very seriously, at least brush it for mass. Sister Elna reached down and plumped a huge watermelon in my hands. For tonight! She said excitedly and then went to see the man at the door. I made my way up the stairs again, the energy and joy from the sister penetrating my skin. I made it back into Pats room where she introduced me to her stuffed animals that she kept neatly tucked under the covers. Sister consuela came to tell me the sisters were off. It was about snack time so I made my way to the kitchen, and discussed more with the women over tea and brownies.
I mostly listened to the new woman (I feel awful but I do not remember her name) tell me about her situation. She will be here for a couple of years she thinks, about how long it will take her to get section 8 housing. How do you feel about that? I asked squinting my eyes. Oh fine! she said. Its safe here. In the morning I awoke an hour early, made some coffee and headed into the chapel, just next door to my room. I heard the buzzer, signaling the priest was there for mass, and made my way down. I walked into the room with five sisters kneeling before the alter, barefoot. Sister Perinne shot a playful wink my way as I scootched past to my seat amongst the other women.
I had a beautiful and intense prayer time. Something that I may write about at another time, but for a brief moment I realized that it just wasn't about me, to put the fleeting moment into the simplest words. After mass, I made French toast, ate with the woman, laughed and laughed with the sisters before heading out. On my way, sister Consuela stopped me and gave me a card with a relic of Mother Teresa's robe inside. As she handed it to me she said, now you pray to Mother for vocations, she grinned mischievously (as she usually does when she hints that I would make a good nun). Yes, you never know, I grinned playing along.
I waved eagerly to the two sisters standing in the door seeing me off, and gave tight embraces to the women that I will see again next week. I walked away with a smile and a feeling of joy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
oh Sarah that is so beautiful.
It's just one big ball of joy.
Post a Comment