Thursday, October 4, 2007

Saint Francis

It is the feast day of my great friend. I thought, how am I going to celebrate this day? And I wanted to do something more than eat my favorite desert (vanilla ice cream with bananas and peanut butter mmmmmm!)
So I grabbed The Lessons of Saint Francis, a book always within reach, and flipped through. The page I landed on was dog eared, and there was a star by this passage

You are love,
You are wisdom,
You are humility,
You are endurance,
You are rest,
You are peace,
You are joy and gladness,
You are justice and moderation,
You are all our riches,
And you suffice for us.
-Saint Francis
written in response to the tribulations of one of his fellow brothers. "Brother hand me a pen," he said. "I need to write you something that has been on my heart."

What beautiful perspective. Like the conversation I had with my mom this morning, love, peace and especially humility is not something I can strive for apart from God. They are not things to be grasped. I will adjust my prayers, not specifically for humility but rather that I may continue to grow closer and closer the the love of God and experience humility through his whisper.

4 comments:

Jane said...

Dad and I celebrated, just like you suggested. But we did not eat desert. St. Francis never had to worry about losing weight did he?

T said...

UPDATE MISSY!!!!!

Jane said...

Come back to us, Sarah!!!

mesc said...

Sarah Beara - I so want to see your photos - any chance you might put some on your blog? Or on Winkflash or some other photo site?

The sisters are so blessed to have you in there lives - and they know it - and you know how blessed you are to have them in your lives, too. Treasure the times in your life when you absolutely know that God is surrounding you with blessings.

Reading about your long days of work and study I know you think if you just plod along it will go quickly - but really Sarah - this is your time to bloom. Enjoy the long days - you will look back and remember them with longing for the energy you had - and they are creating wonderful memories to look back on.

I so miss you - I've been trying to perfect my pie crust - it is a lot like my best friend's Mom's now - my goal - I have been working on it every weekend making quiche for Uncle Pat - I think I've got it down - it still crumbles a bit when I'm rolling it out but I'll get there - and when I do - you need to come home to me so I can teach you - you are my favorite baking partner!

Love you so much - Aunt Mary Ellen