So I visited my mom this past Tuesday in the big city. We could not have been happier hanging out and laughing with each other. At one point she asked me, "So is there any place that I can get a pizza by the slice?" I don't know mom, you may try looking on every corner! What I especially noticed though was how this group of Oklahomans, my mom and her coworkers, really stood out in the middle of the hustle and bustle of New York. They were overall quite cheery and quick to strike up conversations with strangers. One of my mom's coworkers leaned down to pet a small dog belonging to a woman in an over-sized fur coat who scowled at her as she cooed and awed telling the woman how she missed her dogs quite oblivious to her forced smile. I realized that even though I have been in Philly for a couple of years now I too am very much, and always will be "Oklahoman" in my way of relating to people.
I stepped onto the subway on my way to meet my mom, and asked a woman sitting below the map where madison street was. She kindly helped, offering me a warm smile. I sat down inbetween her and another woman and began munching on a juicy date. I thought well that woman was so nice to help, maybe she would like a date. So I offered her one, which she found quite amusing, declining with a smile. So I thought well, maybe this other woman would want one, so I offered one to her. She gave me a very very strange look saying, no...(pause) well, yes, yes! I think I will have a date.
The other woman turned and looked across me saying, "she's not from around here."
Munching on her date the other woman said,
"your right, her face is too innocent. I think this is the first time I have ever been offered food on a subway!"
They both laughed, and I confessed that no I am not from the city. Then I got to chatting for a good ten minutes with the woman eating the date and found out that she had taught one of my very good friends at Swarthmore when he was younger. What a small world! When I got off we all exchanged warm smiles and goodbyes, amused at the funny way in which total strangers become contected so quickly.
So yes, I stand out in the city, and upon seeing my mom and her coworkers make such an impersonal city so personal, I take a lot of pride in being an Oklahoman.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
These two women probably have sat next to each other before on the subway and really never noticed each other. In a big city - getting to and from your destination is a time to be by yourself amongst hundreds of other people. Sarah - you have changed them forever. Next time they see each other they will mention YOU and that will start a conversation about the crazy cute girl from Oklahoma. Then they will continue talking. Maybe they will even talk with someone else. You have personalized their ride on the subway forever. God just sends you around the world to spread your precious smile and the love and innocence that does radiate from you. All my love. Aunt ME
Boy, you should have waited to write this until I had told you about leaving my purse in a cab, being told to report it at a police station, going there and filling out a report and as I was turning it in the co-worker who accompanied me answered my cell phone and yelled "Someone found it!!"
I said to the (smiling) policeman, "I love New York," and another policeman said to him, "She must not be from around here."
Post a Comment