Monday, November 12, 2007

Shhhhh

So I have been posting a lot, procrastinating is the word some use, but I prefer...ok procrastination it is.
I was sitting at my job today, and an older man came in. A good friend I would call him. We have had some wonderful conversations about God and life. While he was talking, my mind was rushing from one thing to another. Then I thought...just listen Sarah. I was riding off some of the things he was saying as non-important. Or thinking about all of the things that I had left for me to do. So I listened. I told him about going into Philly in search of the Franciscans, and the disappointing event it turned out to be.
He said to me "Have you thought that maybe that wasn't God's will for you?"
I was taken aback. Of course I had no doubt in my mind that God wanted me to go to this event, I had so much confidence that that was his will that I didn't bother asking. As I thought some more about what he said, I felt dumbfounded. The morning after my trip to Philly I got a call form the Gift of Mary telling me of the death of a woman, Pat (I have written about her in a previous post). Tears just began to pour when I heard about that. I had considered going to spend the night on Sat, but instead went on the excursion to find the Franciscans. I mourned the fact that I could not be there with her. Perhaps if I had really listened, or made some time for prayer these past few weeks, I could have been there.
We chatted for a bit more, and as the conversation ended I just thanked him. When I put myself aside and listened to what he had to say, I heard God.
What a lesson

1 comment:

mesc said...

Sarah - when I went to take care of my best friend in Ohio the last week of her life I met the most amazing woman. She worked for Hospice. She told me when we bathed Janet that last morning she might die. I asked her if we should have some of the other family members present and she said "No - when someone dies the people that are supposed to be with them ARE with them - God makes sure of that." I whispered to Janet that it was okay to go on to Heaven and that I would meet her there. She didn't die while we bathed her.

Her family came in and out of the sunroom that morning where she lay quietly. A couple of hours later I walked outside to meet Uncle Pat who was arriving from Saginaw -Janet died while I was outside. I realized she knew exactly when I left the house and God knew I wanted to be there to care for her while she was alive and probably didn't really want to be there when she died.

If you were supposed to be there Sarah - you would have been. Decisions in our lives are made with limited knowledge of what is happening around us. Maybe God sent you the idea of the trip because you weren't supposed to be there that day. I love you and send my hugs and prayers. Aunt ME