Saturday, January 19, 2008

A Elizabeth

So this post is in honor of my sis Elizabeth.

A lot of you wish that you had the opportunity that I just had, to give Lizzy a huge hug and tell her how much you love her. Well I did for everyone.

I will write what I saw of Lizzy on this trip that really inspired and amazed me, a glimpse of her life here that she would not give you herself and you could only see.

The first day that I arrived we had a tiff with the hotel people. They would not give me my money back though I had just bought the room five minutes ago (I did not realize Lizzy had already bought one across the street, hehe) I after the argument I stormed up the stairs saying entiendo gracias! as rudley as I could muster up. Lizzy calmy went across the street and worked it out with the lady there, and when I retuned from huffing off they gave me my money back. A little embarrased I moved in across the street.

The next day we visited houses. In a normal situation I would have tried to make small chit chat a every moment, but we found ourselves just sitting a lot of the times. I think part of this was do to life in the campo being lived this way, but part had to do with lizzy just being content to sit and smile, not in any rush to make an excuse to leave however awkward the situation may be. I would give her looks like...umm so you ready? And she would say in reply, well I think they are making us lunch so lets stay. And so we did, and to my suprise the conversation improved and my belly was filled. Hmmm I thought, what do I miss out on when I am eager to leave what I consider awkward situations?

When we began a game of soccer that day I saw how much Lizzy is in her elemant with kids. She is so gifted with them. During the game she was able to take charge and tell them that not everyone can play at the same time, but was also able to just play and scream and be goofy with everyone. Wbwwa, ooooh eeeh!! She screams when she kicks a ball...or misses a kick for the ball.
Adios Elizabeth they call to her, or adios gringita!! Say the little kids, so cute that you cannot be offended that she has not other name but gringita.
Never before had the kids been all out to play soccer like this so often, one mother said to Elizabeth, admiring her love for the kids.

Another time I realized Lizzy is in her element is with other goofy people, like the family that we visited with most often. you can see how they love Lizzy when they smile at her with a twinkle in their eye. There is a young guy that lives there, that would remind me of a friend she would have in the states. He happens to be just facinated with Lizzy and her weird North American customs. He makes fun of her every time she meses up in Spanish and she kicks him playfuly acting offended, though in reality she told me later, it is a releif that someone is not taking her so seriously.

One night we were sitting at this house eating and drinking (coffee) and just laughing and laughing. Really enjoying our conversation, mostly about guys and girls and dating customs, we lost rack of time. When we finally left I was suprised that Lizzy would allow us to stay there that long, when I know her host family would either be waiting for her or already asleep meaning we would have to wake them up to be let in. Infact when we were walking away I said irritatedly, Lizzy why would you put yourself in that situation??? Now we have to wake them up!! I thought the whole time that she just didnt want to tell them that she had to go, but in reality it was a conscience decisions that she made. (Her host family is not the best at the moment is all I will say) She needs to be able to live a little, and staying out till 9 on a Friday night should be okay, even if just this once. The next day I reaized this, and admired her ability to see what was more important, in this case her mental stability, rather than just trying to please others.

I have to go now my time is running up on the internet. Though I will continue this post with more about my sis. Much love!!!

By the way, I am still here...hehe. I thought my plane left last night, and it wasnt until I made it all the way to san pedro and throught the ticket line that the womean looked at me and said, you flight doesnt leave until tomorrow, he he so here I am!!!!

2 comments:

T said...

aww i am so envious - i wish i could have been there to eat tortillas, have conversations with cute latinos about God and have fights with my sissies in the middle of the streets of Honduras :)

Lisa said...

You girls are so blessed! All the traveling......what a gift! Enjoy these years before our Lord brings you good men and a family!