Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bday

So it is that time again! Bday...strange to think that it was whole year ago that I wrote my last entry about my bday! Days can go by soooo slow but a year seems to fly.
This morning I awoke humming the bday song as I took a shower. Than i creeped down the stairs so s not to wake anyone (tooooo early here!!) and drank a big glass of cold milk and a chunk of delicious bread. Them, on my way to catch the ruta into town i stopped to drink some freshly squeezed orange juice form a stand and the boarded the bus. To the town center! I said. and then to drown out the Mexican Ranchera that blares everywhere and can so easily drive one mad, I plugged in my earphones and some peaceful music and thought about how grateful I am to be alive. It is not often that we have a day to reflect about that..but it was a beautiful feeling of gratefulness.

I thought about what happened over this past year for me...and things seem to be a blur but i know about some beautiful experiences:

Finding my warm and loving job in Media where

Riding my bike two to three times week into work, experiencing the wind on my face..sometimes the bitter cold on my knuckles or the smell of wet autumn leaves as I zoomed by the curvy roads

Dancing dancing and more dancing..whether it be bachata at a latin club...or crazily hopping around paces to blaring music and disco balls, whether it be in the bathroom stall with my feet planted but the rest of my body going crazy (this is particularly fun knowing that someone is doing their business right next door!) Or with my African class shaking my hips in wide circles, or the living room with my fam or the living room of a good friend dacing to old eighties and nineties music

dinner..dinner conversations that would make me think question..open my eyes, others that make me mad, others where I pour out my heart to friends, others where i just listen to others, dinners with new apt roomies and neighbors, dinners cooking and trying new food, dinners around the family table me and mom and dad...or the whole family or just marmo and i late at night with sharing a pizza between the two of us. Thanksgiving dinner over the campfire, Dinners with strangers, getting to know them and their lives, dinner with a new group of friends talking nonstop about the world and our passions over rice and curry..dinners in Honduras with Lizzy mmmm all was new then, in Oakland with Dave and T sure lets try X really exotic place to eat....and many many more that were filled with love and happiness and joy.

Painting my room, my sanctuary, bright yellow with red trim!!!

Lots of tears...tears of sharing someone elses pain, a friend a stranger..a movie, the world. Then tears of my own saddness, being afraid of being in a new place, being lonely, sad for no reason at all (that usually ended up being lots of little reasons), tears of exhaustion, then tears because I was laughing so hard!!! Tears that would come when I felt such a peace, such a beauty and such a love for the world and those around me.

Family! What can I say I could write pages and pages about my love and admiration for everyone in my fam. But some highlights for now:
Early January of last year was Honduras with Lizzy, conversation, dancing, laughing (a little scwabbling), running around the campo, looking at a night plastered with stars, drinking warm milk, tortillas, running away from groups of men at the club, seeing how well my big sis was doing in Honduras...so proud

The summer with my sis and bro,
sitting in T apt late at night on Davies last night talking about the world and God..talking to each other about some of our most personal wishes and desires...problems angers and fear. Talking until our eyes were drooping then falling alseep after tight embraces. A night that will always be with me
Long conversations with Davie into the night in the family room..learning something new all the time, but shring passions and thoughts about many things...looking up to his example so much
T...calling her for any problem that I may be experiencing and receiving such wisdom, and then sharing recipis and cooking together in her apt...one day we will open a cafe/bookstore/bakery/shelter/rockclimbing gym!!

Marmo and I had the summer together...staying up late and laughing, talking the dogs out, making movies, walking through turkey mountain, Tiny´s and drinks for a discount, warm summer nights, eating sushi and loving every minute we had shared together, how that summer flew...seeing her grow into a beautiful, intelligent and amazing woman

Mom, I dont know how many times I called her crying on the phone, or calling with elation over something that just happened, but everytime she listened like I was the only thing that mattered at that moment. Going out shopping with moomer, eating, loving food together, Fridays with Ginger, long long talk to each other about life..love God, snuggling on the couch, and sitting on her lap...we always seem to fit

Dad..sharing trips to TCC together over the summer. Waiting at a table after class for my dad. the professor with glasses shuffled hair and briefcase at side...So proud and so happy to see him after class. Breakfast at BBD, tlaking about life or having our classes about the old testament. Running through the living room punching him good on the arm and then fleeing screaming as he would chase me away..."you little stinker!" but most of all the best hugs come from my dad...a warm, tight embrace and a safe place to be.

Love and then no love...learning to be alone and to be content (for the most part) watching chances pass me by...and thinking I dont want regrets like that again (guy at cafe. last night in town...scampered outside to shuffle the chairs around when he came in to see me)

oh I have more..maybe this will be two parts... no worries it is a lot to read, but for me it is soooo wonderful to remember that a yar did not just wizz by it is filled with life and love.



2 comments:

Pursued by Truth said...

Oh happy birthday my dearest sis - I love you so much! The world is blessed to have your smiles, shaking hips and glorious laugh be a part of it.

Jane said...

You inspire me, darlin! What a delightful read. And yes we do love food together don't we!

Love you and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Mom